Sunday, January 25, 2009

Results/Conclusion

Conclusion
I found based on my experiment that the scented markers actually include brighter colors than non-scented markers. This showed clearly with the black marker (shown in animoto and side bar). As you will see, the scented black marker has more yellow and pink than the unscented. This also appears with the red and green showing that my hypothesis was incorrect. But that's what science is all about right? I thought that more ingredients would make it harder to separate but instead it just caused the scented results to expand more.
Reason Scented Was Brighter
Here's what really happened; the scented markers used chemicals that reacted to each other to make the scents. This same reaction could have caused another chemical reaction with the other dyes in the marker making them more vibrant. It all has to do with the chemical makeup of the marker. Well I guess you learn something new everyday.
Next Time
Next time I do this experiment, I would change the question to "Does salt water affect chromatography?" and test this with the non-scented markers. I think this would work better as being the variable. Maybe salt will affect the color results......